Sunday, December 20, 2015

How My Martial Arts Career Began.

My parents put me into a Rec Martial Arts Program. I was maybe 4 or 5. I remember that I was the only girl. I vividly remember my first belt promotion. I was the only girl and I was so scared I walked out.  While the Instructor did bring a higher ranking older girl to the testing, it didn’t help me feel comfortable.  I stopped.

My next attempt at Martial arts came in college with a R.A.D. course- a self-defense program for women. I also did boxing. Upon graduation, I couldn't find a basketball team to play on. I was looking for a Martial Arts Instructor for my at-risk youth program. I found a place and they recruited me to learn Martial Arts.  I found my passion that kept me active and drove my competitive side too. I left it in 2005 for Peace Corps. I began teaching Martial Arts in Kenya.

I returned to the U.S and immersed myself in teaching and learning Martial Arts.  I went searching for a place from which I could learn and grow not just physically but also mentally.  In the process, I found my Master.  I also decided that I wanted to take my passion and empower other individuals and on the 16th of September 2012, I opened my own school.


No comments:

Post a Comment